“If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” - Toni Morrison

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

July Writing Plans

There are three reasons why I don't write (aside from the reason of being impossibly busy most of the year).

- Writer's Blank: I can't think of anything to write.
- Writer's Blahs: I don't feel like writing anything.
- Writer's Bleakness: I hate everything I've ever written. This sound so stupid - why did I ever write that?

At the moment, I'm in the third stage. A few weeks back, I finally went back to Innocent. And I read over it. And despaired over it. I've already re-written a good portion of it and I've barely started my "first draft". But I've decided that I'm not going to let myself look backward, but only forward...until that first draft is finally done. (Not-So-Fun Fact: With the amount of time I've had in addition to Writer's Blahs and Bleakness, I've written about 23 pages since I started it. When I was fourteen.)

So I've made a plan for myself.

1. Get the things I need to do (such as the torture called French grammar that I have to take over the summer) in the morning so that I have a couple of hours in the afternoon free.

2. Spend much less time on things like Facebook and Pinterest. (Because honestly, most of my time spent on Facebook is reloading the page, hoping that someone posted something because I am absolutely bored).

3. I'm going to set myself an ambitious goal of 10 pages per week. (For some of you, that may be laughable, but this is HUGE for me, especially with my schedule.) I'll just stick with just July (and the last few days of June - because there are two more days left in June as I write this) for now, so that makes 50 pages. I doubt I'm going to make this goal, but I find that I work better with a goal. 

4. Outlining does count for the 50 pages.

5. And absolutely NO looking back. (Unless I need to check a name or event or something. But no editing. And no panicking.)


If I complete this goal, I'll treat myself. To what, I have no idea. Any ideas?







2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, French! Do you enjoy it, even if the grammar is difficult? I'm taking German and loving it (as Max would say).

    Make the something you treat yourself to extraordinary so that you'll be more motivated. You want to do something big, so let the reward fit the work, right?

    Also, if you post snippets (hint, hint) only after so thousand words, that may help you to keep up with yourself.

    This is a fun blog to read. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like learning French, but I liked it much better when I did it at my college because my professor was funny and helpful. I'm doing French over the summer with an online university because the classes are much too late at my college next year (and I have to take them)...and the teacher there doesn't really help at all. :-/ So, by finally getting to answering your question, it depends haha. :)

      Hint, hint. ;) Perhaps I shall do so! And thank you for your support.

      - Anna

      Delete

I'm psyched that you want to bless me with a comment! I dearly love to get any comment about my work, so feel free to critique and/or provide comments/suggestions! God bless! :)