“If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” - Toni Morrison

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Further Update on My Writing Plans

I just came across this most beautiful idea/challenge, and I have decided to answer the questions for Week 1 of it.




1. What is your writing goal?
Already mentioned in my last post.


2. Give us a short synopsis of your project.
Turns out, I was planning to post some outlining from Innocent that I wrote yesterday, using the Snowflake Method (to see it, go here and scroll down until you find it). Here are summaries from my two main characters POVs:

A. One-sentence summary of your novel.
In a land far from earth, yet touched by it, the destiny of all its people lies in a necklace that holds a stone with a valuable liquid.

B. Longer summaries from the point of view of my major characters
Marianne Roberts’ world turns upside down when a precious stone is found in her deceased uncle’s treasure collection. Suddenly her day-to-day life entails running for her life, training in self-defense, and travelling across the known world in order to give the stone back to its rightful owner before it falls into the wrong hands.


Rhona Ranling, peasant girl, has always wished for a better life. But when she finds that she is really a royal princess, she gets more than she bargained for. Her uncle, the king, is gravely ill, and a dangerous enemy in hiding is right under her nose.


3. How long have you been working on this project?
Lazily, since I was 14.


4. How often do you intend to write in order to reach this goal before August 1st?
Every day, hopefully. But I may not be able to on the days my family goes on day trips.


5. Introduce us to three of your favourite characters in this project.
Marianne. She lived the last few years of her life in a wrong way. The danger that the necklace brings into her life snaps her "out of it", as some might say. But she still struggles with her past. She's the type that fights for what she believes is right.

Rhona. She's a feisty redhead who spent her childhood trying to prove that she was better than all the other peasant children. Then, as she enters adulthood, she finds that she is indeed above the children she scorned. But instead of blowing up her pride even more, she starts to realize that she was wrong.

Joseph. He's a kind, sweet, and gentle boy. But underneath hides the scars of a little boy who was beaten by his father while his other brother went to birthday parties and play dates.


6. Go to p. 16 (or 6, 26, or 66) of your writing project. Share your favourite line or snippet from this page.

“I was just trying to put you in good spirits so you wouldn’t feel too bad when Guus arrived!” Ghanry protested.

Rhona rolled her eyes and turned away. “The only thing that can help me get ready for Guus’ visit is if certain people would just let me get my work done so I can go to the market.”

“How are you going to get to the market before Guus arrives?” Ghanry asked, innocently. “He’s at my house right now.”

Rhona’s blood froze. Slowly turning, she asked, in a slow, cold tone, “What…did…you…say?”

Ghanry, who had realized his mistake, stuttered something so low that Rhona couldn’t hear.

“Speak up!"

“I…I said…meaning no harm to anyone…I didn’t know that you didn’t know…”

“Just say it!” Rhona hissed, her brain already having registered what Ghanry meant.

Ghanry’s face crumpled into the most mournful face that Rhona had ever seen. So mournful, in fact, that if she hadn’t been boiling mad at the moment, she might have felt sorry for him at the sight of it.

“Guus is at my house. Right now,” he whimpered.

And Ghanry’s house is the next farm over.


7. Tea or Coffee?
Coffee. I love tea, too, but coffee is my staple. (Along with peanut butter sandwiches.)

15 comments:

  1. I loved this post! Thank you so much for the link! Seeing as I was too laz—um, occupied to find it myself.

    Lovely snippet. I can't wait to read more! And I couldn't agree more on your answer for #7. Except for the peanut butter sandwiches part... I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter.

    You mentioned you've been working on this since you were 14... so, how long is that? (Since I don't know how old you are now.)

    the writeress @ barefoot in the snow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I get the lazy part. That's me every single day. ;)

      I'm eighteen. :) But in reality, the amount of time I've actually spent on this would probably amount to around half a year. But I do plan on actually getting down to business with this project finally. :)

      Delete
    2. Haha yeah, I've been working on my current WIP for (I think) about a year and a half. Though, I've only seriously worked on it for maybe a few months. It started out as this random scene, but I liked it so much, I made a story out of it. Or rather, I'm making a story out of it.

      I hope you reach your goal! I'll be looking forward to reading more. Perhaps another AFSIJ post? Or BP. Or whatever else you think up. ;)

      Delete
    3. Of course I would make an update for a dedicated fan like you are already becoming. ;) It probably won't be until middle August, though.

      Delete
    4. 😄😄😄

      But so long? Eh, I can wait, it's only a month, right? ;)

      Delete
    5. I'm going to be pretty busy with Vacation Bible School next week and then going on a vacation with my family the week after that. But I plan to bring my laptop and get some work done...so I'll see what I can do. ;)

      Delete
    6. No worries, we've got VBS and junior camp int August, as well. And the Northeast Vision Summit in a week or so (if you know what that is). So I'll be plenty busy, myself :)

      Delete
    7. I've never heard of it, but it sounds fun. :)

      Delete
    8. ((those symbols a couple comments ago were supposed to be smiley faces))

      It is. I shan't bore you with extensive detail, but it's basically a Bible conference with some activities for the kids, and fellowship thrown in for dinner. And food, of course ;)

      Have fun at your events!

      Delete
    9. Oh, I wouldn't be bored by lots of details, but it does still sound interesting. :) Thank you, dearie! (I see you like Once Upon a Time - good for you!)

      Delete
    10. haha yes, I do. I don't suppose you're a fellow Oncer?

      Delete
    11. Guilty as charged. ;)

      I'm not sure if you would be interested, but I'm holding a contest where you have a chance to win an ebook/pdf with samples of my writing (including the Innocent story) on one of my other blogs. http://catholicteen15.blogspot.ca/2014/07/100-days-of-blogging.html

      Delete
    12. Awesomeness!

      Of course I'm interested! I'll go check that out. Thanks!!

      Delete
    13. If you need me to extend the contest deadline, just let me know. I was thinking of doing that anyway. :)

      Delete
    14. I wouldn't say I need you to. But it would certainly be lovely if you did! More point opportunities ;)

      Delete

I'm psyched that you want to bless me with a comment! I dearly love to get any comment about my work, so feel free to critique and/or provide comments/suggestions! God bless! :)