“If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” - Toni Morrison

Monday, June 23, 2014

Plot Bunny #7: Beast of the Prairie

I got this idea from trying to think up something for the "Five Enchanted Roses" contest. However, I'm still not sure if I'm going to do this for the contest as

A. I don't know if I'll have time

and B. I may want to expand this story. And then what do I do if it's chosen? (Though it probably wouldn't, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to publish the story anywhere else if it isn't chosen.)

and C. I'm not sure how much research I will have to deal with. However, 18th century Canada is one of the time periods I do know a little about... :)


Inspiration for Catherine
(I detest the dress though)
Catherine Tait, schoolmarm, has a good relationship with everyone in her thriving little town on the Albertan prairies. That is, besides the ill-tempered new sheriff whom nobody seems to like, Mr. Albert Longstaff. However, Catherine is sure there is some good in him...if only someone would look. But it's definitely not her business, nor is she interested. But when one of her children, the spoilt _______ (Nellie Oleson type ;0) goes missing and a masked man threatens her, Catherine has no choice but to put herself under Mr. Longstaff's protection. It is then that she begins to realize that he is not the man she thought he was...


Beauty and the Beast elements I could use...
- Albert's outward appearances aren't the greatest and he has a bad temper (like the Beast)
- Catherine is one of the most beautiful women in town; she loves to read; middle name is Belle
- Albert gives Catherine roses; he tells her that he sometimes pretends his household objects are enchanted and can talk to him
- a proud, vain man whom many of the young women in town fawn over tries to court her
- Catherine's father is a store-keeper and sometimes brings her rose seeds for a garden...her sisters want pretty dress material. (However, I feel like I want to make Catherine the only child, with her mother gone years ago.)


Other Ideas
- I'm thinking of having the murderer kill off Catherine's father
- the murderer is targetting her because he mistook her for someone else. His orders involved a "redhead" who lives somewhere in Alberta. He's kind of bad with details... haha

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm psyched that you want to bless me with a comment! I dearly love to get any comment about my work, so feel free to critique and/or provide comments/suggestions! God bless! :)