“If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” - Toni Morrison

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Plot Bunny #6: "The Most Worth Having" first scene

Lord, why didn't you give me any talents? I feel like there's nothing I can do to help glorify you. All I can do is sit and watch TV or read books. That isn't going to help anyone.

Twenty-two years old. With an English degree. But Ellen still had no idea what to do with her life.

Yesterday, she had gone on a shopping spree. She had bought anything that had caught her eye with the idea in her mind that she could try new things. Find a talent by forcing it out. But now she wasn't so sure.

She cast an eye on the Walmart bags sitting by her kitchen table, two o'clock afternoon light shining on them as if to cast a spot light upon her "amazing" idea.

Should I even try, Lord? What if it doesn't work? What if I'm just as untalented as I think?

Ellen stared at the plastic bags until her eyes were tired. And, suddenly, she got up.

"You know what? I don't care!" she said out loud.

Hands went into the grey bag. Out came a small canvas, a set of paint brushes, a palette, and several colours of paint. Blue eyes looked at the palette questionably, and then the hands set aside it for a foam plate.

Then Ellen was painting little flowers all over the canvas, very slowly and carefully so as not to end up with a mess of paint at the very beginning. She kept working, not even noticing the hour hand on the clock creeping towards late afternoon.

And then, she was done. Ellen looked at her painting with a mixture of delight and awe. It wasn't a masterpiece, but it wasn't bad for a beginner. Not bad at all. And it was hers.

Slowly, she looked up and noticed the clock, eyes opening wide.

"Oh my gosh! It's almost time to get ready to meet Nicole!"

She went to wash her hands, after glancing admiringly at her work one last time. She would hang it up somewhere after the paint dried.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm psyched that you want to bless me with a comment! I dearly love to get any comment about my work, so feel free to critique and/or provide comments/suggestions! God bless! :)