“If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” - Toni Morrison

Monday, June 16, 2014

Plot Bunny #5: Dancing on Dangerous Ground

I'm horrible at titles. Always was.

I got this idea from two sources. One, I went to watch my sister's last dance recital last week, which evoked a lot of memories for me as I used to dance. Paragraph one of the "back-cover blurb" sprang out of that. Paragraph two came from the thrill of reading an exciting mystery by Lynette Eason. The two ideas sort of collided and I quickly typed down the blurb you are about to read one night before it could leave me. I quite like this idea.




Monique has always dreamed of going to a professional dance studio, one where most of the students aren't mediocre like at the place where she's been going for dance for the past six years. Now her dreams have come true. Her roommate, Faith, seems really nice, even if she is a little too much into this Jesus stuff and wants Monique to come to Bible study group with her.

But then Monique's dream life is shattered as she and Faith are targeted by a killer...and then unjustly accused of a murder. Can the two new friends find a way to prove their innocence? And after her past which made her turn to dance to forget it all, will Monique let herself feel for someone again?


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


"Please...no. Don't hurt me!" A young Monique raised her arms over her head in a futile attempt to avert another blow.

"I don't like it when you sass me, girl," her father replied in growl that stank of beer. His face was very close to hers. "When you don't listen to me, you get punished. Got that? But if you get me what I asked, I  might just let you go...this time."

"I'm going, Daddy. I'm going right now!" 

The little girl scrambled to her feet and ran towards the beer case to get her father what he had asked. But halfway there, he broke his promise and she felt a fist sink into the top of her head. With a moan, she felt herself falling...but she never felt her body hit the floor.

Monique fell awake out of the nightmare that had plagued her for the past six years. She had had nightmares like it before then, but they got worse when he began to treat her worse. She was the only one left...they had all been murdered. And the only thing that stopped him from killing her, too, was a stroke. Now the only thing that stopped him from coming after her was prison bars.

The only family she had now were her adoptive parents, the new parents that tried so hard to heal the hurt. But the only thing that really worked was to lock it inside and try to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm psyched that you want to bless me with a comment! I dearly love to get any comment about my work, so feel free to critique and/or provide comments/suggestions! God bless! :)