“If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” - Toni Morrison

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Plot Bunny #1: Chatterbox

I'm doing Chatterbox again! This month, I am supposed to write a scene with boats - and what better way to use this prompt than using Plot Bunny #1?


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Courtesy of The Weird World of Jack

"Are you sure that this is safe?" Noah eyed the sailboat with a cautious eye. It looked very old - white paint peeling off, bumps covering the sides in as plentiful a manner as stickers that a child used for decorating.

"Yeah, yeah, it's fine."

Liam didn't stop working as he talked - stooped down, untying the rope that held the boat in place to the dock. When Noah still made no movement, Liam turned a little with an exasperated look on his face.

"Noah! I've been handling boats since I was a child! I know what I'm doing. This boat has been in my family for a very long time."

"That's what I was afraid of," Noah muttered around his breath.

He cautiously edged towards the boat. Tara was already sitting on one of the worn padded seats, surveying the ocean before them. She smiled as she watched a sea bird soar overhead.

Noah cautiously put a leg over the boat. Setting his foot down, the boat rocked a little. He stopped, half of his weight already on unsteady surface.

"Noah! I can't finish untying the boat until you're in it!" Liam called out, annoyed.

Noah scrambled to get his other leg over the side of the boat, his hands clenched so tight around the side of the boat that his knuckles turned white.

"Come and have a seat, baby," Tara told him, patting the seat beside her.

"If I can make it that far," Noah made his tone light-hearted, but he was seriously doubting his ability to walk a few steps towards the seats without falling over.

Suddenly, the boat jolted forward as Liam gave it a push, and Noah toppled towards the seats, almost falling onto Tara. She laughingly helped him sit beside her as Liam jumped in.

"We're off!" Liam sang out.

He sat down and grabbed two oars to get them moving until the wind got into the sail. Noah wondered if he should offer to help, but Liam seemed to be doing fine with both oars.

Tara turned around so that she was facing the same way as Liam was, towards the ocean.

"I never knew the ocean was so beautiful," she said, almost to herself.

"It is that, isn't it?" Liam answered.

Noah looked from Tara to Liam. Tara was now leaning over the side of the boat, her hand trailing in the water. Liam was whistling some tune, probably of an Irish song, his blue eyes reflecting the sea and sky. He had never seen two people so happy to be in a boat. On the other hand, Noah already wanted to get off that boat - right now if possible.

2 comments:

I'm psyched that you want to bless me with a comment! I dearly love to get any comment about my work, so feel free to critique and/or provide comments/suggestions! God bless! :)