“If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” - Toni Morrison

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Worlds Collide ~ Chapter 3: Lucy

I'm almost done exams! One more left on Monday! Wish me luck!

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter. :) :)


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Are you alright, miss?" The voice of a little girl broke through Martha's nothingness, stirring her back into reality.

Martha groaned. She had a splitting headache, and her back had a cramp. She opened one eye cautiously, expecting to be blinded by light. But, instead, she found herself lying on the dusty ground of a dusky, very small room. A little girl sat on a bench less than a foot away from where she was lying, with her back against something that felt hard like...

She gasped and sat up, wincing at the pain in her back. "I...I'm on a...!" she spluttered. Across from her, light came in through a window that no longer had any glass in it. This light suddenly brightened a little as it does on those summer days, fluctuating in the afternoon.

"Train," the little girl finished for her. "Yes, you're on a train."

Martha turned to survey the little girl. She seemed to be around eight years old. She had brown hair that reached just past her chin and beautiful blue eyes. She was wearing a knee-length double-breasted tweed coat with a mixture of cream, green, yellow, and brown threads and dark brown buttons. She also wore a mossy brown beret. Brown sweater cuffs peeked underneath the sleeves of the coat. Her feet were adorned with cream socks under black leather Mary Janes. She was hugging a honey-coloured bear to her chest.

Lucy...with one of her brothers, who shouldn't be in the picture. xD
"What...year is this?" Martha asked. "And who are you?"

The little girl didn't even seem surprised at the question.

"It's the year...nine...teen...forty," she stressed the words with a proud flourish. "I'm Lucy Pevensie, and who are you?"

"Lucy Pev..." Martha shook her head. "No way. You're not THE Lucy Pevensie of Narnia, are you?" She clapped a hand over her mouth, realizing what she had just said. Too late.

"Narnia?" Lucy looked very confused. "What's that?"

"Uhh..never mind. I meant to say...London. You're Lucy Pevensie of London, aren't you?" Martha tried to cover up her mistake in a way that she knew was just making it worse."

"Yes..." Lucy mused. "How did you know?"

"I just guessed." Martha wracked her brain for information, something clever to say. "You're on your way to the country for evacuation, aren't you?"

"Yes." Lucy's lip seem to quiver a little bit. "But...the train suddenly stopped and then there was this really bright flash. And then Peter, Susan, and Edmund were gone and you took their place." Her face became angry. "What did you do with them? Bring them back!"

Martha blinked. "What? Me? What do you mean? Are those your brothers and sisters?"

"Y-yes," Lucy half-sobbed. She put her hands to her eyes, all the while still hugging the teddy bear to her chest with her arms.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, honey." Martha eased herself into a semi-crouch and manoeuvred herself around and up so that she was sitting by Lucy. She put an arm around the little girl. Lucy made a choking noise and snuggled up close to her.

"Now, I just want you to know, I did nothing to your brothers and sisters. In fact, I have no idea how I got here." Martha held Lucy tight.

"Really?" Lucy lifted her hands away, revealing a tear-stained face.

"I was standing around where I live, and suddenly I found myself here. But don't worry, I'm sure we'll get your brothers and sister back. I have a friend named the Doctor who's going to help us," Martha assured her.

"Do you promise?" Lucy asked, looking up into Martha's eyes.

Martha gulped. This little girl was so innocent, so trusting. She had never wanted to help someone so badly. And yet, she had never met someone so strange in her life. She had travelled to the past and future with the Doctor, but in all her time with him, she had never known it was possible to meet a fictional character. Or was this little girl really fictional? She couldn't quite believe it to be so.

And so, even though she had no idea whether it would be all right in the end or not, she decided to take a chance.

"I promise."

Then she suddenly laughed. "I never told you my name! I'm Martha Jones." She smiled down at Lucy.

"It's nice to meet you, Miss Jones," Lucy responded, dutifully.

"No, don't say that," Martha shook her finger at Lucy in a mock-disapproving way. "You must call me Martha. Can I call you Lucy? We're going to be great friends."

Lucy giggled. "Yes, of course."

Martha's heart warmed. Whatever was coming her way, however bad things were, this little girl had made some of it a little better. And she trusted that the Doctor would come save them...somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm psyched that you want to bless me with a comment! I dearly love to get any comment about my work, so feel free to critique and/or provide comments/suggestions! God bless! :)