“If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” - Toni Morrison

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Yet Another WIP Idea (Yes, I have too many)

OUCH! It's been a loooong time since I've update here. But it is because I haven't had really much time to write or research lately. Actually, I have. But I've got caught up in reading and fangirling over new TV shows and movies and the like. I am hoping to get back to researching soon - or writing something on my newest book idea. *sigh* Yeah, I know. Too many good ideas out there. ;) And this idea came from inspiration from the things I was doing when I could have been writing - watching clips from the TV show Once Upon a Time.

Things have gone downhill for Maude ever since her mother remarried after an annulment. However, it wasn't so bad. Her real father still sends her wonderful presents and takes her on trips. However, when he dies, to her horror, her own mother seem to care for her anymore, but only for her twelve stepbrothers. Maude finally decides to run away, her favourite brother joining her. However, either the outside world is a replica of  fairy tales, or Maude's going crazy.

There's a little excerpt I wrote yesterday. This story is based on a few things - how I imagine the life of a friend of mine could be if her life got so bad that she had to run away (yes, this is a Catholic friend whose mother got an annulment). Also the tale of Beauty and the Beast with some other fairy tale elements mixed in. Such as...three brothers who are having trouble with a corrupt realtor (guess what fairy tale that's based on!)

I chose the name Maude because I wanted it to be something old-fashioned. I gave Maude twelve brothers to slightly base it on the fairy tale with a girl who has twelve brothers and her stepmother turns her brothers into geese, the girl having to knit shirts from nettles to turn them back into men again. Well, I'm not having that part in my story - or it might be a cool idea, actually. I'll have to think about that. :)

The Beast is a young man named Baen who has a tendency to turning to terrible rages when he doesn't get what he wants. I'm trying not to, but I keep having Robert Carlyle's Rumpelstiltskin in mind whenever I think of Baen. Why did I name him Baen? Well, I wanted to name him Bae after Rumple's son in OUAT, but that would be stealing. So I added an "n" at the end, and perhaps that's only a nickname. That's another thing to think about.

I was going to make Maude have brown hair, perhaps with red highlights, but then I looked through some pictures of friends, and I found one girl friend of mine who looks very Maude-ish - she has blond hair. That also works because most of my characters seem to have brown hair (I think it's because I wish I had brown hair :P). Then I've got another friend who has red hair and is very lovely. This could also be a chance to show that not everyone with red hair has a temper because Maude certainly doesn't.

I also found a guy friend who could be Baen. He has brown hair and some identifying facial spots.

So...what do you lovelies think? :)

2 comments:

  1. I think it sounds good, Alyianna! Robert Carlyle is awesome. :D OOH, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who loved Bae's name. Baelfire is such a coolio name.

    Three brothers having trouble with a corrupt Realtor.... Three Pigs? LOL.

    I only have on thing, and I'd say-- while I KNOW WHY you're going with 12 brothers-- I wouldn't do all twelve. That is a crud load of characters, and it's hard to shuffle so many and give them all a personality. :D but other than that, GO FOR IT!

    Oh, and I didn't know you didn't have dark hair, I've always thought of you as darker... hmmmm. lol. Weird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! And I don't think I'm that great at thinking up cool fantasy character names...except my Rhona from FOTN. ;) I'm proud of thinking up that one.

      YES! :D You guessed it!

      Yeah, I was thinking of that from the first moment I thought up the idea - I'm still trying to decide what to do with that idea. :P

      Actually, I don't have dark hair. :) I just said I wish I did...I have mousey brown hair, so very light. I used to be blonde...but those days are no more. :P

      Delete

I'm psyched that you want to bless me with a comment! I dearly love to get any comment about my work, so feel free to critique and/or provide comments/suggestions! God bless! :)