“If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” - Toni Morrison

Monday, April 1, 2013

Update AND Excerpt

Sooo...I've been working bits on my newest WIP, though, at the moment, it's been mostly looking at the website of our library and trying to find some books. Since I've got two areas - Napoleonic France and Spain at that same time period - it's not that easy. I was able to find some books that may give me some info about the first subject (which just so happens to be the more minor part of my story), but nothing really at all about Spain. *sighs*

Anyway, here's the excerpt. Enjoy, and let me know what you think! :D



Some people think I am an inanimate object - something that just mimics their looks, something that lets people see whether a hair is out of place or whether their eye shadow is smudged. But some people are believers. They have open minds and they have discovered that I am really magic. Go ahead - test me at home after you read this sentence. But unless you really and truly believe, I’m not going to oblige you.

In what way does my magic work? It depends on my mood and the type of person that is standing in front of me. First, I judge their state of mind. I can see a lot more than you would expect that I can. Then, if that person does have an open mind, then I work my magic.

My most common trick is to let a young person see how they will look in old age - or to give an old person a flashback of their past. Sometimes, I’ll work this on the unbelievers, too, just for fun. If I’m in a good mood, I may soothe a person’s fears and let him or her daydream about something that this person absolutely desires, which is usually love. Or sometimes…no, I’m not going to go into all the details and spill out all my secrets to you. You’ll have to find that out yourself.

But I’ll tell you one more thing - if I find a person who is very special (which is very rare, mind you), I may even open a portal to the past.


Isn't dealing with inanimate objects that are animate in your story fun? ;) (Yes, I got the idea from The Book Thief.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm psyched that you want to bless me with a comment! I dearly love to get any comment about my work, so feel free to critique and/or provide comments/suggestions! God bless! :)